Finally, my post is here about gut health! Around 74% of people suffer with going to the loo, indigestion, bloating, IBS and many other forms of digestive health issues- whenever I talk about this topic, there are so many people who can relate! Gut health has become a topic that is no longer spoken in hushed tones, but is an everyday issue that many struggle to maintain. I myself have suffered for many years with balancing my gut bacteria and trying to achieve optimal gut functioning.
Leaky gut syndrome (A digestive condition in which bacteria and toxins are able to ‘leak’ through the intestinal wall) causes allergic reactions in some – I experience this when consuming wheat, gluten and dairy. Eating foods that you are allergic to, or that irritate the gut can cause an increase in the ‘leaking’ of certain proteins in the gut and this in turn causes inflammation in the gut/intestinal tract.
You’ve heard the gut is directly linked to the brain yes? Well, as crazy as it sounds, it’s true. So how do we balance our gut bacteria? There are many easy ways to improve gut performance and overall health, here are a few to mention:
1) Using Iberogast – Herbal medicinal drops that ease pain & bloating. Works wonders when used regularly.
2) Taking a good Probiotic – Increasing your healthy microbiome
3) Adding Fermented foods to your meals, Kimchi/Sauerkraut (Fermented Cabbage)
4) Drinking Kombucha (Fermented tea using bacteria & yeast) /Kefir Water/ Bone Broth (filled with amino acids, collagen and gelatin) all assist in healing the gut lining over time.
5) A balanced diet, staying fit, hydrated, chewing slowly and drinking peppermint/green tea after meals are also great ways to help your gut stay active and healthy.
Brands I love are:
Please let me know what your go-to gut health products are- I’d love to hear!